Everything for the front everything for the victory

The production capacities of the Donetsk metallurgical plant were reoriented to special grades of steel, air bombs and grenades since the very start of the World War II. Because of the lack of iron ore, blast furnace engineers, led by head of the shop Tsaritsyn A.N., developed a new effective iron melt technology based on blast furnace dust. For it not to be blown from the furnace, the briquette plant was built.

In October 1941 the plant shut down, some part of the equipment was moved to Ural in the Serov city.

After the Stalino (Donetsk) city liberation from German invaders in September 1943, restoration of the plant began. According to September 12th1943 direction of The People’s Commissariat of the ferrous metallurgy, Pavel Vasilievitch Andreev was appointed the director of Stalino (Donetsk) metallurgical plant.

At the time of German army retreat, in time period September 4-7th 1943 the occupants detonated buildings and constructions of the plant. The energy infrastructure was completely destroyed. So first of all it was necessary to clean up huge blockages and remove tones of garbage and scrap, to select everything what could be used for restoration.

At the time of German army retreat, in time period September 4-7th 1943 the occupants detonated buildings and constructions of the plant. The energy infrastructure was completely destroyed. So first of all it was necessary to clean up huge blockages and remove tones of garbage and scrap, to select everything what could be used for restoration.

The second main issue was to provide electric energy and water supply. And by September 25th 1943 first electric lamps flashed, waterways were partially restored by the end of the month. Repair base restoration began. Steam operated cranes were collected and started by the end of 1943. Boiler –assembly shop was fully recovered. The partial restoration of the mechanic, casting, forge, electric repair, and refractory and railway shops was effected. 10 Lancastrian boilers and 3 smaller turbines (240 kilowatt capacity) started.

The front needed steel badly for the enemy defeat. That’s why the decision to restore at least part of main hardware as soon as possible was taken. First in this raw was open hearth furnace # 4.The head of the shop Saveliy Adolfovich Telesov and Master Andrey Tikhonovich Solomko were in charge. Restoration was going “from memory” because drawings had not come back yet from the evacuation. Master Solomko A.T new well all the units of lower and upper furnace construction that helped to recover it.

Due to self –sacrificing workers labor and skillful leadership,5 month later -February 18th 1944 the open hearth furnace #4 began to melt steel for the front’s needs.

It’s interesting that, when the drawings returned, the comparison between construction and drawings took place. It appeared to be that the furnace was restored strictly to the project.

March 30th 1944 the blast furnace # 2 was blown, July 4th –blast furnace # 3. Blooming 900,open hearth furnace #3 ,rolling mill 400 were also restored and started in 1944. Rolling mill 710, open hearth furnace # 1,rolling mills 250 and 350- were recovered in 1945.

For 6 months of 1945, the plan was exceeded with following figures: 12500 tones of iron, 2200 tones of steel, and 5740 tones of rolls. The plant’s capacity by the end of the year was: iron- 233 thousand tones, steel-176 thousand tones, rolls 89, 7 thousand tones. Great restoration and hardware reconstruction took place at the same time.

1944 view of the Blast Furnace No.4 being put into service1944 view of the Blast Furnace No.4 being put into service
1945 view of the 350 Medium Section 1945 view of the 350 Medium Section