THE PLANT WHICH GAVE LIFE TO THE CITY

“NOVOROSIYSKOE TRUST COMPANY of coal ,iron, and rail production” for south Russia coal shaft mining, iron and steel works building was founded in 1869 in London.

According to treatment with Russian Empire government, “NOVOROSIYSKOE TRUST COMPANY of coal ,iron, and rail production” started to build iron and steel works in august 1870 on the right bank of river Kalmius, 7 kilometers south of Aleksandrovka station of Bakhmut County in Yekatirinoslav province.

Welsh specialist John Hughes was appointed as managing director of the plant construction from building start -till year1889.

The project of the works was made in England. Equipment for the construction and refractory products were also delivered from England.

Considered to be big that time blast furnace (240 m3 volume) was set up in April 1871 and it was blown on April 21 same year. But after few days the furnace had been shutdown, due to refractory failure. Blast furnace repair was going up to January 1872.

January 24th 1872 the blast furnace was blown for the second time and regular iron melting began. This day is considered to be as a Donetsk metallurgical plant foundation day. 24 puddling and 13 welding furnaces were made by that moment. Two rolling mills for rails and sections started in 1873. The plant began to operate on full metallurgical cycle.

More and more of steel were at great demand due to South Russia industrial development, that is why, open hearth furnaces were built at the plant, the rails rolling began. Blast furnace #2 (160 m3 volume) got started in 1876, and the blast furnace #3 (178m3 volume) was set up in 1882. In 90-s of 19th century the plant became not only one of the biggest metallurgical enterprises in Russian Empire, but took a first place in iron and steel production. By year 1900 the iron production had grown 45 times comparing to 1872 and came to 17376,2 thousand poods; steel- 12091,2 thousand poods.

High quality of the works products was approved by giving the right to put Russian Empire emblem on them, and also by highest award Grand Prix on world-wide metallurgical works exhibition in Paris in 1900.

With plant growing, Hughes administration was paying a great attention to the social questions: first works hospital was set up and it had 100 stationery bed places by 1900. The hospital treatment for the workers was free of charge. People’s school for children and workers started in 1877, and then two more. Amateur orchestra was organized, it playes on open stage on Saturdays. A rest park was layed, etc.

John Hughes, first executive director of the plantJohn Hughes, first executive director of the plant
1884. The Blast Furnaces of the Iron and Steel Works1884. The Blast Furnaces of the Iron and Steel Works